English Alum Honored with State and National Teaching Awards

Jan 17, 2012 by

Jennifer Isgitt, a 1997 Taylor graduate (BA, English Literature and French), has been honored both in the state of Texas and with a National Council of Teachers of English award.

In 2011, the Texas Council of Teachers of English Language Arts named her “Outstanding High School Educator” for that year. They also nominated her to the National Council of Teachers of English, who recognized Isgitt with one of only fifteen nationwide “High School Teacher of Excellence” awards given at the annual conference in Chicago in November 2011.  In addition, her own school district, Keller ISD, named her “Secondary Teacher of the Year” in May 2011.

The Council’s website quotes Isgitt’s observer, who noted, “Jennifer’s teaching goes beyond teaching English. Her classroom is one that is a community in which everyone is accepted for who they are and for what they bring to the learning environment.” Furthermore, the Council said, “Jennifer’s insight, commitment, and passion honor our profession even as we honor her.”

After graduating from Taylor, Jennifer Isgitt earned her teaching certificate and an M.Ed. in Secondary Education in 2002, and has taught for Fossil Ridge High School in Keller ISD since 2000. Currently, she teaches 12th grade English with a British Literature focus, and Advanced Placement Literature, a course through which students can earn college credit. She also teaches junior college composition courses online.

Since 2005, Isgitt has been a Teacher Consultant with the National Writing Project. As a part of her local network, she has been involved with a Local Sites Research Initiative grant that has funded a project in which she and fellow consultants study best practices for teaching writing to English language learners.

Isgitt has presented work at conferences for both the National Council of Teachers of English and the National Writing Project. She also provides professional development for local school districts on the teaching of writing.

Jennifer recently reflected on the way Taylor University has impacted her life and career.

She says: “I certainly count my Taylor education as one of the best investments I have made in my life. As I teach high school students and remain in contact with them throughout their college years, I’m learning that the depth of the courses and the personal attention of the faculty at Taylor are rare in the world of higher education. I read widely and deeply in the English department, and I learned how to write with clarity, logic, and insight.” Also, she noted, “I’m excited about the new English department blog, and to see what other English alumni are doing!”

To learn more about Jennifer, check out the Texas Council of Teachers of English Language Arts website at http://www.tctela.org/awards-nominations/.